Wednesday 21 December 2011

The Joys of Winter


I actually can’t remember the last time I rode my bike in daylight. For the last 2 weekends I have been busy doing social stuff and I have got to the point when all I want to do is go for a bloody long ride! I can’t wait for the weekend because, with Xmas conveniently on a Sunday, I can indulge in some ‘me time’ in the Derby countryside.  Hopefully I can also fit in a couple of mountain bike rides in too. There is talk of visiting the peaks after christmas with a few friends and since the last couple of years have been snowy epics it will be nice to find some mud for a change.

Life has been made even more depressing recently with the forced addition of mudguards to my usually lightweight road bike. It’s not pleasant putting on soaking wet kit for the ride home from work so it is a necessary evil. It also makes you slightly more popular on a winter group ride if you’re not throwing a fountain of muddy water in the face of the bloke on your wheel. Still, the constant rubbing of mud guard on tyre and the far less sleek look of the bike make me long for summer when I can stick them back in the shed for a few more months. At least tomorrow is the shortest day of the year meaning the mornings will start to, all too slowly, get lighter and I can once again start to look forward to a ride where I can see the potholes I am trying to dodge.

1 comment:

  1. here here!

    just seen your other post. are you going to do some stuff up north next year?? Selkirk is still a great course but only ever ends up being about 75km, even though they advertise it as 100.

    K100...you're on your own!

    ReplyDelete