Wednesday 16 April 2014

MSG Round 2 - Carver Barracks




First podium of the season, and grinning like an idiot
By the time this weekends race arrived it’s been about a month since I last lined up on a start line, and in that month I couldn’t exactly say I have been able to do the highest quality training. A Stag do (my own to make it worse) and illness combining to make sure any confidence I had from my ride at Rendlesham was long gone and I was lining up at Carver wondering if I could avoid being the lanterne rouge. I had a reasonable amount of home advantage for the race because the hosting club is Walden Velo and I have had the opportunity to ride every one of the 999 iterations of the course set out by Andrew Riley prior to the big day. Before Thursday I was happy with the course but when I turned up for my final practice I was confronted with Andrew grinning from ear to ear and a new gap jump! Jumping has never been my forte so I was slightly concerned about the prospect, especially with Callum riding it and showboating. After a bit of coaxing I finally grew some balls and managed to ride it. To my surprise it was actually far easier than it looked; I actually enjoyed riding it and was disappointed when the MSG organisers asked for the big hole to be filled in!


Race morning came and I realised my front tyre has still not managed to seal properly so calls were made and a loan wheel was organised. If I was on the usual 29er this would not have been an issue. However, I am now on my shiny new 27.5 anthem and spare wheels are in short supply! Fortunately Liam came through for me and donated a very nice carbon number from [one of] his bikes.

The other benefit of it being a home race is that I could turn up at the venue after lunch and be a bit more relaxed than usual, even with the last minute tyre drama. On arrival I set up my rollers in the Newdales Pro XC gazebo and went to work warming up. After the warm-up I rolled around the runway before turning up at the start to be gridded, which I had missed. Obviously just too relaxed! I took up a place amongst the juniors on the second row and hoped my tardiness wouldn’t be too costly with the course quickly turning in to wooded singletrack.

I got away Ok but Rich Dunnet slipped a pedal in front of my meaning I had to ease up slightly before getting around him. Fortunately as everyone concertinaed up for the first corner I kept off the brakes and swooped around the outside moving up to about 4th in the mixed elite/Expert/masters and Juniors field. I felt comfortable through the first wood section but when Andy Cockburn came past me with a couple of riders in his wheels I tried to latch on but there was no power left. As I drifted back I rode with Ian Mockett for a bit but early in the second lap my gears started to jump and I couldn’t keep up with him. The rest of the lap was spent trying to twiddle with the barrel adjuster trying to sort the problem out and I think I lost quite a bit of time. By the 3rd lap things had not improved so I pulled over to see if I could see what was wrong. True to my reputation for maintenance, my rear wheel was loose and about to fall out! 

After I re-tightened it and undid all of the adjusting I had done earlier I was back under way. I had dropped behind Glen Stanford (CCN) but not lost too much time faffing. Fortunately my legs had recovered a bit and I soon reeled in Mockett and Stanford. I rode away from Ian on the start finish straight but still had Glen For company. We didn’t make a very cohesive partnership but we were still together going on to the final gap. I made a few kamikaze overtakes in the first section of woods using some local knowledge line choices which got me a gap that I held to the end. I didn’t have a clue where I had finished so was pretty chuffed to hear I was 1st Expert and 3rd Elite. Some good points collected and a cheeky podium appearance alongside teammate Callum and Rich Jones (XCRacer). The result should prove a nice little confidence boost and some added motivation leading up to the Marathon Champs in about a months time.

With my parents visiting I couldn’t desert them to help marshalling or final course set up/take down in the morning which was convenient but I did feel a bit guilty about considering how much time the Newdales and Walden Velo lot had put in to the event. All of the feedback that I have heard from the event has been very positive and I think it was a big success. I’m sure Andy is already planning what he can build in the woods for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment