Tuesday 25 February 2014

Thetford Winter Series Debrief



This weekend was the final round of the Thetford winter series. I find this greatly concerning as it means it must be the end of winter and the real racing season is just around the corner. It is the first time I have ridden the whole 4 hour series and on the whole it has been a success. The weather has been miraculously kind throughout, nothing too wintery and only one mud-bath. The organizers have done a great job setting the courses considering the amount of rain we have had recently!


The first round was at one of the regular venues, Brandon Country Park. I was coming off the back of a winter break and a couple of weeks off with a cold so I started conservatively and let the early leaders go. I managed to pick off a few guys later on in the race but then totally blew up in the final quarter of a lap, losing one place in the process. I managed to hold on to 6th place though which was a good result considering a was a bit sleep deprived and pretty hungover!

Round 2 was at Stanton Downham which I have ridden before but never raced. This was my favourite race of the season. The course was a 10 mile rollercoaster BMX track, almost nothing in the way of altitude gain but great fun all the same. I started steadily again and built into the race. This time I didn’t blow up and felt strong to the end. I was 3rd over the line and felt like I could have kept on going.

Round 3 was the obligatory wet round, there is always one! The forecast was dire but the promised rain didn’t really appear. Unfortunately the damage had already been done and by the 3rd lap it was becoming boggy and slippery. For this race I decided to ride hard from the start. All was going well until the 4th hour when my brakes started to fail. I was riding with Richard Dunnet in 3rd/4th but I was also starting to struggle pushing my single gear up some of the climbs. By the beginning of the final lap Rich had distanced me and although I caught him again briefly I could do nothing towards the end of the lap other than drag myself home. I dropped a couple more places and ended up 6th. Later inspection of my bike showed a broken spoke from a crash in the second lap, and my front brake pads had got wedged into the gap where the calliper sits meaning it was essentially locked on! No wonder I was struggling.

The final race was held at Mayday Meadows. Before the race I was sitting in 3rd in the series with a slim chance of holding on to it. My new race bike has still not appeared for I took up the offer of borrowing a bike suspension and gears hoping that it would make the chance of a podium a bit stronger. The first half of the lap was fireroad heavy so gears would definitely be a bonus. Unfortunately all chance of a good result had essentially gone when I had to stop and adjust my saddle half way through the first lap. After this I spent 3 laps trying to work my way back up the field but couldn’t get much further up than 11th. My mind wasn’t in the race and I decided to drop out after 4 laps. I had been ill during the week and although I wasn’t feeling too bad I didn’t want to push myself too deep if my result wasn’t going to affect the overall rankings. It was a disappointing way to finish what was a largely successful series. Now my thoughts are firmly on the start of the MSG series in 3 weeks’ time and then the first national a fortnight after that. It doesn’t take a tarot card reader to see lots of sprint/hill intervals in my near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment