Friday 6 July 2012

Southern XC 5: Frith Hill

 In the week following my win at the Rampage Series opener we actually had some pretty nice weather so I forced myself to commute by bike to make the most of it, and managed to fit in some lovely sprint intervals too. Never fun but hopefully they make a difference come race day. Sunday was the final round of the Southern XC series at Frith Hill and with a weather forecast that could go either way I was trying to be positive and hoping for a dry race. This venue is traditionally used by Gorrick in the pre-season races so on arrival I was struggling to get myself in the competitive mind set. The fairly torrential rain shower just as I was driving down the entrance road didn't help my motivation either.

Once on the start line it was obvious this was not just a Gorrick with a number of the promotion hopefuls filling out the front row. From the start I felt really strong, making up a number of places before the first singletrack section and I was still managing to hold on to the coat tails of the leaders after a few minutes. Paul Brenan then burst my bubble. Since I have had the better of Paul for the majority of the season I was more than a little surprised to see him coming past me at this point and was determined he was not going to get away from me. One of the leaders had a crash on the exit of a bomb hole causing a small hold up which was the last I would see of the top 3. On the climb up towards the arena a couple of guys slipped by me and although I couldn't keep up with Chris Peddar I managed to get on the wheel of Ryan Keynes and ahead of Paul. For the next 3 laps I had a close battle with Ryan while Paul yo-yoed off the back of us. The course was drying out nicely meaning you could hit the descents harder and faster with each passing lap. It was a nice change to the 'gently does-it' aproach I have had to adopt for the majority of the summer. On the final lap I pushed hard on a couple of short climbs which was enough to distance Ryan slightly and I crossed the finish line with about a 30 second advantage in 7th.

On reflection the race was a bit of an odd one. I felt good and my lap times were consistent but considering I put 6 minutes into Ryan last weekend I feel like I should have done better. As is the way with this season, I don't have to wait long to try to put it right again. Next weekend is the 2nd Rampage race so I will be aiming for another win there. Unfortunately my planned foray into road racing will have to wait as I was not quick enough to snap up one of the 75 places in the Oakley Village Road Race on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment