Wednesday 22 February 2012

Forest of Dean / XTC final review

Its a bit of a poor show when a blog about last weekend is published closer to the next weekend! Im obviously getting a bit slack!

While I was (and still am) a bit jealous of everyone racing in the Midlands XC opener this weekend at Hicks Lodge, I have enjoyed the opportunity to do a couple of good rides myself. On Saturday I met up with the Wychwood RC ride which is normally run at a steady pace. I spent the majority of the ride on the front including along the flat and dead straight 6 mile road from Ambrosden to Islip straight into a gale force headwind – that bit wasn’t so enjoyable! The route was mostly flat with the road into Brill being the only significant climb and a good chance to stretch the legs. The Wychwood ride only ended up being about 50 miles (plus the 6 I did to get to the meet) so I decided to head off on my own for an extra few miles once everyone else had dropped off. Unfortunately I should have paid more attention to the whether forecast because as soon as I was alone, and bang on schedule, it started to piss it down. In addition to the headwind I felt like I was being jet washed and I was sorely tempted to take the quick way home. My resolve held, but only just, and I took the intermediate route home with the addition of 15 cold wet miles under my wheels. At least the beans on cheese on toast felt like it had been earned when I got in!

On Sunday I headed over to the Forest of Dean on the XTC to see how it coped on (slightly) more technical terrain. The upshot it, it was good! We did the blue route first to warm the legs up before heading out on the enduro route. For the first descent I was still getting used to the bike and not going too quickly but once I had got into the swing of things I loved it. The bike eats up the trail centre bumps, and the faster you go the smoother it gets. It also copes with braking bumps and pump track sections better than a 26 although it is still definitely not up to full-suspension levels of comfort. By the time we had been riding for an hour I had completely forgotten I was riding a 29er. You quickly get used to the slight difference in steering and just get on with reaping the benefits in the form of better grip and smoother ride. After a quick spin in the car park both Jack and Ash agreed the much talked about negatives of 29ers are almost imperceptible.

The enduro trail was my favourite section of the day with really slippery mud and crisscrossing roots keeping out on your toes. This sort of track is far more my cup of tea than manmade trails. We only rode for about 2.5 hours but after getting lost a few times we were all ready for a bacon butty in the café!

Unfortunately I have had to give the XTC back now for a few weeks until mine arrives so I will be rocking my old 26er at the Gorrick next weekend. Please don’t judge me for not being on trend!

No comments:

Post a Comment