Thursday 5 January 2012

First Turbo Session of 2012

Tuesday was my first official training session for the 2012 season. Actually, I was supposed to have done a session on Monday but with a combination of driving back from cambridge and high winds, I gave that a miss. The session I did involved 3 x 5 minute efforts followed by 5 x 3 minute efforts separated by 1 minute rests. Including an abbreviated warm up and a 10 minute cool down, the session only took an hour but my legs were suffering by the end! It was probably the first time I have really pushed myself since November last year and my calves and the back of my quads felt really tight.

I rode to work yesterday to try to stretch my legs a bit and felt much better at work as a result. The ride in was reasonably pleasant with clear skies and low wind. The way home was another story unfortunately! There was a strong wind and consistent, if not quite heavy, rain meaning I couldn't really see where I was going. That, in conjunction with West Oxfordshires terrible road surfaces had me grimacing all the way home. I hit at least 3 potholes that I swear were not there 2 weeks ago. I has made me consider buying a winter/commuter bike because I really didn't like the thought of my Canyon taking that sort of battering! As Si pointed out on twitter, I could get a CX bike. However, I actually already have one I am borrowing off a friend but I had not even considered using it for the commute. Maybe I will give that a crack tomorrow.

Today, as with most of the country, it is bloody windy. I might go for a short run after work but to be honest, I will probably think better of it and stay in and look at my options for a winter bike instead. Much more productive!



No comments:

Post a Comment